Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Active Directory Issues: “a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) cannot be contacted.

Error: Domain that was supposed to be created upon the install of Active Directory is nor appearing and creating errors of shutdown and communication.

Research: support.microsoft.com http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903654

Hypothesis: If I uninstall Active Directory by typing dcpromo /forceremoval into the command promt with admin user right. Then ensure that the latest update is installed on Server 2008-service pack1. Then reinstall Active Directory using a Static IP than yes it will be able to see my domain and the computer will quit crashing.

Result: The initial attempt to type dcpromo /forceremoval did not complete the task as desired. The Active Directory was still in existence.

And an interesting, note two pictures and my google chrome are now none existent.

Hypothesis: click remove role and follow directions.

Result: Success on the removal and now I am reinstalling Active Directory

Hyppothesis: Start install of AD

Error: Fun new error: on the reinstall I select to choose my own static IP address. It won't let me continue. I check and view my network connections and their properties. My preferred DNS server is 127.0.0.1

On the network map it should be 172.16.1.11

Oh great goodness the new recommendation is that I continue with the exact same method that I preformed the first time, that yes failed the first time. Ooooh now I'm steaming mad.

So I go through the ordeal once again with the result of "not successful"

The errors I receive upon trying to enter the Active Directory Domain and Trusts are:

Firstly, "You cannot modify domain or trust information because a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) cannot be contacted. Please verify that the PDC emulator for the current domain and the network are both online and functioning properly."

Secondly, "The configuration information describing this enterprise is not available. The server is not operational."

Research: This site might have a solution http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780487.aspx I'll search it.

Just as I was about to ready to delete and reinstall Server 2008, when I received some advice.
In the first place I should have looked at the event viewer to do systematic problem solving.


Hypothesis: Enable and start the Server service and the Netlogon service and active directory should work


Result: Yes, Windows Server 2008 automatically has the Server service disabled, I enabled it and then had to Start it and then start the Net logon service. We’re all smiles now.

No comments: