Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Network Discovery will not turn on

In my Server box I am running Windows Server 2008

Error: Network Discovery will not turn on.

Hypothesis: Find the port or the program name for Network Discovery and Netlogon, access it through a search inside of the windows firewall exceptions tab and Netowrk Discovery should turn on,

Research:
Learn how to Add programs into Windows Firewall Exception list.
Go to http://www.clearapps.com/help.html#faqa9

Microsofts lists posts and their application protocal and the service names at http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/support/articles/ref_net_ports_ms_prod.mspx

After my research I was stilled in a state of confusion, so I turned to a student and he helped me.

These are the steps we took
  1. Go to Windows Firewall, click on the advanced tab and click the "Restore Defaults" button.
  2. Click on the Exceptions tab and click the boxes for NetLogon and Network Discovery.
    -At this point Network Discovery still was not turning on.
  3. I went back and turned on File and Printer Sharing as well.
  4. We turned on some more of the services that can be found through going to administrative tools. -This is not very useful because, I don't remeber what we turned on.
  5. We were able to turn on Network Discovery, but we were not able to turn on Printer sharing.
  6. To fix this problem we unistalled the printer and reinstalled it.
  7. Printer sharing was turned on succesfully.

Reflection: this post becomes useless at step four because the reader does not which services to turn on inorder for them to have the same success as author of the blog. I can definatley Imrove my taking of notes when I fix computers, but as for this case I also need those who fix the problem to write down the solution steps as they go.

No comments: